Hello sweet peas!
So in lieu of my holiday overseas I have decided to continue on with such themed posts! 🙂
I thought I’d compile a list of things that after one day I already know would’ve been helpful, or were helpful, to know 🙂
- the language. Luckily Australia speaks the same language as us (although we like to make fun of each others accents 😉 ) so I didn’t have to learn a new language, although I have yet to work out what they call “togs”? Are they called “bathing suits” over here? 😀
- transport. I am a stickler for the bus system back home, and know most of the relevant bus network off by heart 🙂 Before we got here I had looked up busses, which definitely helped yesterday! We didn’t know how on earth to get to where we were going, but this nice couple (an American woman and her NZ husband) pointed us in the right direction, and showed us where to get off, and to purchase bus cards. I really do prefer using public transport where possible, as usually its quite affordable and quick 🙂
- time zone. Where we are the time difference between here and home is two hours, which doesn’t feel too big, but it means I’m up two hours later, at night and in the morning! So basically I’ve become a night person 😉
- Currency. Australia uses Australia dollars and New Zealand uses New Zealand dollars (go figure) so its not hard to remember haha 😀 But the exchange rate is slightly different so it pays to check how much you are actually spending of your own currency 🙂
- Find out if the beach is safe to swim! This is kind of just relevant to where we are, but we found out the beach we had been planning to go to wasn’t actually particularly safe, so we’re going to the next one up 🙂 (you probably all know where I am now lol!) Finding out where you are allowed, and what the safety regulations are is super handy! 🙂 Also check for things like rips, currents, and undertows, and whether it is a surfer or swimmer beach!
I probably have more to add, but I shall keep it at that for now 🙂 And hopefully next time I will disclose where we actually are, if you haven’t already guessed haha 😀
Feel free to add to my list, and to give me some suggestions as I definitely need them! 🙂 What are your tips? What is the first thing you check out overseas?